Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Ice Ice Baby

I'm hoping I song bombed you with my title. It brings me back to sorority days, lip sync parties and really really bad early '90's music.  In a word, AWESOME!

But the title actually catches you up on our goings-on for the last few days.  Sorry to have been so slack in posting but we've had some excitement here in our corner of the South.

First, we pack up and head north to Tennessee to pick up our long-awaited newest family member.
THIS  is what we saw heading to our destination...


dum dum dum duuummmmm...Storm's a comin'. The leading edge of a storm system that is forecast to dump freezing rain/sleet/snow on the Southeast.  Our city was expecting a winter storm....and to prepare the city was prepping all 7 of their sand/salt trucks, the weathermen were on high alert (and so excited about it), and the kids were turning eyes toward the sky in hopes of a suprise snow day.  We kicked it into high gear and headed up the road to get this....


Meet Piper. Our newest family member. (please excuse my dusty floor. How did THAT happen??) I know, I know. Shut up! She's so cute! Plus she's sweet. And cute. And tiny.  Right now she's a pocket puppy. But not for long. She is an English Cream Golden Retriever. She'll be getting big soon enough.

We high tail it out of Tennessee, trying to beat the weather and make it home. Phew! I have time to hit the grocery store to stock up on every Southerners winter storm necessities- bread, milk and eggs. Everyone sleeps well and we get up to this...



For us, this is a severe winter storm.  To all my northern friends, this is just a dusting.  But this is ice.  So it looks pretty, but it is slick.
Our kids, not wanting to waste a day off, go outside and decide to do this...


Surprisingly, this took most of the day. It is ice, after all, and scooping ice into buckets and making the mounds is harder than it looks. They are calling it a starter igloo. I'm saying it is more of an homage to Stonehenge.

The frozen tundra outside gave us the most excellent excuse to enjoy these...


And do a little of this...


So what have you done with yourselves lately?  Hopefully we'll be thawed out by tomorrow. But if we're not, we'll play with our newest little friend.


Happy 1.11.11, y'all.

2 comments:

  1. That may just be the cutest puppy I've ever seen! Ever heard of "baby fever"? I think you just gave me doggy fever! But no no no--we aren't ready for another dog yet--I'll just be satisfied to ooh and awww over yours! Congrats on your new edition!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh she is so freakin cute!!!! How did you come up with the name Piper....she looks like a Piper...PERFECT! I love reading everyones winter weather. We are getting lots of snow and high winds right now, ice is the worst though!

    ReplyDelete