Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Lent

I can't believe it is already Wednesday.  This week is flying by and I'm not done with half the stuff I wanted to do.

I'm having to text my best friends.  It's hard to have conversations over text.  I can't get my humorous anecdotes across in 140 characters!

Let's get to it.

In this season of Lent, what are you doing (if anything) to prepare your heart?

Many churches suggest giving something up or fasting for the 40 days leading to Easter.

We attended a church where the pastor encouraged everyone to add something to their lives during Lent...daily quiet times, listening to Christian music, turning off the tv and doing something else with that time, even daily exercise was a suggestion.

On a site I visit, A Holy Experience, Ann Voskamp shared of a candle holder her son made for Advent that he added on to for Lent.  It was a spiral shape and you moved a candle one spot for each day of Lent (or Advent).  I'm sorry I couldn't snag the picture...computer glitches on my end, but if you jump over there and search around, it is a really neat idea.

On a more practical note, Cheryl of A Pretty Cool Life, shared an idea she saw on some blogs to purge a bag a day of stuff you don't need any more.  Kind of a jump start on Spring cleaning or just a nice practice to start for decluttering your home.  If you do one bag a day, that is 40 bags of stuff you thought you needed out of your home!  I liked that idea and may jump on that one.

I love the Lenten season.  I love the reflection, the challenges and that it leads to my most favorite of all holidays, Easter.

Even Piper is getting in on Lent.  She's getting dog training lessons.  She and I are doing them together and I have to learn to growl.  It's classic.  Evidently I have to practice my growl.


And let me tell you, it will take the whole 40 days of Lent to get this sweet faced puppy on the right track.  Cute only goes so far in this house.

No comments:

Post a Comment