Saturday, December 18, 2010

Chicken French Fry Casserole

That title screams "Amazing Chef On Premises", doesn't it?
The name sounds kitchy, I'll admit, but it is a good recipe. So good, in fact that everyone in my house eats it with no complaints. None. Zero. Nada.
And that, my friends, is a wonderful thing.

Without further musings, here's the recipe!
I started taking pictures after I had started cooking, so I don't have the pretty picture with all the ingredients. Here they are listed out.
2 packages boneless skinless chicken breasts, 2 cups reserved chicken broth, 1/4 cup butter, 1 10oz can Cream of Celery Soup, 1/4 cup flour, 1 10 oz package frozen carrots and peas, 1 tsp salt, another 1/2 stick butter, Parmesan cheese, 1 pkg frozen french fries.

Cook, cool and shred chicken by poaching it in seasoned water. (Just add salt, pepper OR you can use low or no sodium Chicken Broth)  Save 2 cups of broth.  Put the shredded chicken in a 9x13 buttered pan. (I use Pam here)

Melt 1/4 cup of butter in a pan; add 1/4 flour, 1 tsp salt, 2 cups broth, 1 can Cream Celery Soup and cook till smooth.


In another pan, cook the peas/carrots for 3 minutes. NOT till they're done, just so they're not still frozen solid.  Drain and mix with the sauce. Pour this over the chicken.


I only had frozen peas this night....usually I use peas/carrots or whatever frozen veggies I have on hand.


Melt the other stick of butter in a large pan and stir in frozen french fries. You won't use the entire package, but just about all of one regular sized package. I had the smooth french fries, but crinkle ones work just as well.
Coat the french fries in butter and spread them on top of the casserole.  Sprinkle generously with Parmesan cheese.


Bake uncovered at 450 degrees for 20-25 minutes, or until the french fries are golden and the sauce is bubbling.

This can be put together earlier and refrigerated.  If this is done, bake for 35 minutes instead of 25 min.

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment