Wednesday, April 27, 2011

THAT is NOT a red ninja?

My son is 5 today.  Besides the fact that I can't believe he's 5 already (I *know*! 5 years isn't enough time to get that pre-baby body back! Thank goodness for empire waist fashion!) he wants a red ninja party.  Ummm....yeah.  Ok.

Google is my friend in this situation and we found a super cute party that was...wait for it....

Photo from Life Right Now
Awesome, right?  I'm all about seeing an idea and stealing it!  (So thank you Susanne Ashby for taking pictures and posting your super cute red ninja party!)

This post isn't about my ability to completely mimic someone else's idea.  It's about my inability to create the one thing for special snack that my son requested.....red ninja cookies.

I was trying to recreate this...
etsy store design studio


Only my guy wanted a red ninja.  Not hard, right?  Round cookies, some red icing, black dots for eyes....best laid plans.  

I should have known that things were going to be going downhill when I had to start with this:


I know.  Boxed Sugar Cookie mix.   I just didn't have it in me to do the whole "from scratch" thing.  Anyhoooo....


I added the extra flour, per the directions, and rolled it out on the floured surface.  Think I have enough flour on my surface?  


I tried to be fancy and add some extra flavor with my super special Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Bean Paste.  It just sounds fancy.  
Actually it's been sitting in my cabinet for a while and I just wanted to use it.  



So the dough is mixed and circles are cut out and are on the baking pans in the freezer.  Evidently freezing the cookies before baking them helps them hold the shape.  
While I was letting the cookies chill, I made the royal icing from Bake@350.  When you go to her site, marvel at the beautifully decorated cookies.  Then come back to reality and join me over here in my kitchen for ninja nightmare.  
Do you see my icing? It isn't red.  It is a coral/salmon color.  My little guy walks in and wonders what the heck I'm doing because *that* isn't a red ninja color.  Also notice my fantastic supplies.  That is a Food Storage Bag--or at least that is what it said on the box.  Truth be told, it is the cheapest plastic bag ever made.  It sprung so many holes that my hands are now stained red and it looks like I've become some sort of axe murder.  


Here are the cookies before they have eyes on them.  Remember what I was going for?



I figured I'd add some mini-chocolate chip eyes and BAM! Red Ninja.  My little guy (and my other two kids and my husband and some friends I texted a picture of my cookies-in-progress to) disagreed with me. In fact, they laughed at my salmon/coral colored ninja cookies.  I lauged too...
 Besides, my sub-par supplies had my icing looking a little ratty around the edges.  For those of you who know my Type-A tendencies, this was driving me crazy.  

Bummer.  Cookies in the trash. 

Thank goodness for Fresh Market and their yummy, ready-made, egg- shaped, pink- sprinkled cookies.  

Note to my friends---ninjas are NOT salmon colored.  





1 comment:

  1. REALLY, you threw the cookies in the trash!??? I actually think they looked pretty awesome! Poo-sha on all the people who laughed--I'd like to see THEIR ninja--humph! Anyhow, I hope you guys had a wonderful day celebrating (minus the cookies)!!!

    ReplyDelete