Thursday, April 28, 2011

Scardy Cat

*My state was affected by the tornadoes last night.  My particular city was NOT affected, and my family and I offer up condolences to those who lost loved ones and prayers for those who are hurting.*

I am terrified of thunder storms.  Terrified.  Especially at night.
Maybe it is that I can't see the storm coming or maybe it is because the thunder at night disturbs my precious sleep.  Either way, weather last night had me up way past my bedtime and set me up for what will be a long and tiring day.  We are all okay and our home is okay, but those storms were whoppers and do nothing for my blood pressure when they rolled through.

As I'm sure you experience when there is "Severe Weather", the tv stations call in everyone on the weather team.  Our morning weather person was in the studio at well past 1am.  I felt a little bad for her since she's the one who gets to the station at 4am for the 5-7am morning news.  I bet she's going to be way more tired than me.

They  pull out all their weather tools--radar maps, wind speed dectors, 3-D maps that show formations of tornadoes (NOT something a person with a fear of storms wants to see), lightening strike counter, hail diameter size estimator, tornado probability calculator, descending reflectivity calculator and on and on and on.  They all take turns explaining what different meteorological phenomena we are looking at.  I feel like I'm taking an advanced Weather Science class.   They try to remain calm, but in the back of my mind, I'm sure they are quietly High-5-ing each other that they get to do more than just stand in front of the green screen and talk about the highs and lows from the record books.

Again, all of this is great, but now I, the complete chicken in storms, am hyper-aware of "hook echos" in rain storms because those indicate tornadoes...or at least rotation.  Thus making me more neurotic than I already am.

Here's to Spring becoming more gentle and lady-like.  I think we all could use a little gentile behavior from Mother Nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment