Friday, September 17, 2010

We The People

Today is Constitution Day! On this day in 1787, 39 men who had been working together for months in the hot Philadelphia summer, in true closed-door sessions emerged with one amazing document.
Most schools won't mark this day at all.  My children's school is mentioning it in passing, so I'm going to have mini-school this afternoon. LUCKY THEM! I know they'll be thrilled beyond words. They will sing my praises, "Oh mother, you fill us with such wonderful information. We delight in the sound of your voice and eagerly open our minds so you can impart your knowledge upon us."  Wouldn't that be great if that was what they really said? It will be more like, "Do we have to listen to this? I'm tired. I want a snack. Can't I go see if Jane/John/Sally/Anyone can play? I think I need to go scrub the bathroom."

In spite of what I know will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth, I am going to share some stuff about the Constitution with my kids.  Here's what I'm sharing...

I got this book when my best friend and I were in Philadelphia for a Bon Jovi concert. We were there less than 24 hours--fly in, see the best sites of Philly, eat a cheese steak, swoon over Bon Jovi, fly home.
I found the book at a shop near Independence Hall. It is a cleverly illustrated book on the Preamble to the Constitution...perfect for preschoolers who can understand the need for some rules, and students up to about 3rd grade. By third grade they can start to discuss certain aspects of the Preamble and the pictures make it that much easier.

I'm also attaching two links- one to an old favorite, School House Rock. Those were the best! I wonder why they aren't on tv any more?
The other link is to a site called "Constituting America".   Jeanine Turner is one of the founders and her daughter, Juilette, is on the site a lot. They organized a reading of the Federalist Papers as well as a contest for kids to do poetry, speeches, artwork, songs about the Constitution. It's a neat site.

The links will follow- until then, Happy Constitution Day!!

Constituting America site here

School House Rock here

No comments:

Post a Comment