Saturday, September 4, 2010

Fall

I love this time of year.  Sunshine, low humidity and the beginning of college football. Bring on the Saturdays spent organizing the day around the games to watch....do we DVR Auburn and watch  Georgia Tech? Or maybe we watch Florida and tape Tennessee? And who is coming over to watch the game with us? Just be sure they are bringing a snack to share.
I am a Yellow Jacket fan. (full disclosure here- I didn't graduate from Ga Tech, but I did attend for 3 years before changing my major and transferring to another university. My allegiance belongs to Tech.) I'll also cheer for Tennessee, Auburn and Florida because I know people who have attended those schools and I feel like, in the great scheme of things, the extra spirit I throw to those teams may help them pull out a win in a tough situation. I'm a giver like that.
I also cheer for anyone playing University of Georgia. That comes from my years at Tech. I don't hate UGA per se, but there is no love lost for them in my home. I'm sorry if that offends you. I'm usually a really nice person. This is simply one area of my life that is black and white. It  *is* the one thing I know for sure and there aren't many of those things in my life so let me just have this one, okay? We good? Good. Let's move on.
Fall also brings the craziest convention to our town. Dragon Con. It is a huge 3 or 4 day convention of Sci Fi, gaming, and comic book fans. There are discussions on how to make costumes, computer programming, and question/answer with actors from some of the most popular shows (Buck Rogers, anyone?) One of the best parts of the convention is the parade that goes through the heart of downtown. My family and I had never gone, but we have friends who have and each year their descriptions of the parade participants is so crazy that we finally decided to pack up the kids and head to the big tall city to have a look for ourselves.
In a word? I can't sum it up in a word. One word doesn't do justice to the amazing costumes we saw. One word wouldn't convey the interesting (or crazy) things people will do, say or wear at a specific moment. Let's just go with this: A picture is worth a thousand words.
Ok. No idea here but the costume was amazing.


This guy was part of a group who were into Steam Punk. Google it. They looked like they were from the 1800's, but the stuff they had was pretty cool.
Sleestack from Land of the Lost. I never saw the movie re-make, but I remember the tv show. That dates me, doesn't it?
Right off the set of some scary movie. I mean, look at the costume! Oh my. 
I must finish with Gingerbread Man from Shrek. There were some cute characters, but they were in the minority. 

So this was the first day of our long weekend. Crazy, a little cool in a geeky sort of way, and really fun.
Tomorrow? Who knows. It will be hard to top this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment