Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Meat

This post is for all of you who love a good meat sandwich.  It appeals to guys, girls and kids alike. It's easy, can be made a few days in advance if you're so inclined and it gets better if it sits overnight.

It's a favorite recipe and I'm going to share it with you. But beware...once you've made this, you'll be asked to bring The Meat on beach trips (it's superb for travel!),  for sports parties (World Series or Superbowl anyone?) and it makes a wonderful make and take meal for those times you're taking dinner to a sick friend.

Here it is.  From my mom's kitchen to my kitchen to yours. Enjoy!

The ingredients...



1 London Broil steak, 1 packet onion soup mix, 1 beef bouillon cube dissolved in 1 c water, 1 packet Au Jus mix, hogie rolls, provolone cheese ( I didn't have beef bouillon, so I used some beef stock...about 1/4 cup)


Preheat your oven to 300 degrees and get out a Dutch Oven or other large covered baking dish.  I'm using the Dutch Oven from my grandmother. She was a great cook and this pot always does a great job on this dish.


Brown the steak in the pot you're using. I forgot to do this because I was in a hurry to get the steak in the oven...welcome to Mondays at my house. No problem, though. After its cooked, if you'd like it more brown, just slice it and brown it a bit in a skillet before putting the sandwiches together.


While the steak is browning, dissolve the bouillon cube and soup mix in 1 cup of water.  Pour this over the steak.



Spread out the onion soup stuff so the meat is equally covered.

Put the lid on the dish, pop it in the 300 degree oven and bam! You're done.  Let it cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours and make your house smell yummy!

About 15 minutes before The Meat comes out of the oven, make the Au Jus.   I'm sure there is a way to do this that is super special, but my mom always used the dried packet you mix with water, so that is what I do. And that is what you do too...empty the packet into a small saucepan, mix with the amount of water listed on the back of the package and heat it through.  Easy!

So now The Meat is done. Your house smells amazing and you're hungry.  Hang on just a minute and here's what you do.



If you want to eat it the same day you make it,  simply take the meat out of the pan, slice it in thin slices and make your sandwich on a hogie roll.  We always slice the meat and put it back in the pan it cooked in so it could soak up more of the beef goodness.



Serve The Meat sandwiches with a bowl of Au Jus for dipping.  I'm sure this sandwich would be good with sauteed onions and peppers, mustard, mayo, or whatever else you can put on a sandwich.  We like it plain and simple at my house, but as they say on American Idol, make it your own.



Oh my goodness.  I'm so happy. Except for my crazy wrinkly hand. Whose hand is that? Ignore the hand.

**If you'd like to make this a day ahead, just cook it, slice it, and put it back in the liquid it cooked in.  Put that pan in the fridge overnight and just reheat the whole thing on the stove the next day.**

**If you're making this to take with you on a trip or whatever, cook The Meat and then after it's had a  chance to cool, we slice it and put the sliced meat and all the liquid in a Ziploc bag.  We double bag it (to prevent spills) and just keep it in the fridge till we're ready to eat.  We usually have it on the second night we're traveling---it's a tradition, so it does keep for 2 days, plus lunch the next day.**

The pictures showed certain brands...I'm not advocating the use of those specific brands, they were just what I bought at the store today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment