Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Sucked In

No. This isn't about Spanx. But I do love a good pair of Spanx. If they made one that would go from my neck to my ankles, I'd be a happy girl.

The title of this post has to do with the fact that one of my favorite shows, NCIS, comes on in re-runs and I happened to find it this afternoon while folding laundry.

There I am, being productive with my laundry and watching my show.  Then I watch the next show.  And maybe one more. See? I got sucked in by Gibbs, Tony, Ziva and Abby.  Now I'm done with my laundry and  am just sitting glassy-eyed in front of the tv. (I know, I know. I'm setting such a fine example for the youth of America.)

So I peel myself away from Gibbs, Ziva, Tony and Abby just long enough to realize I have *gasp* not started dinner and it is THAT TIME.

Notice a trend, here? I tend to wait till the last possible minute to make dinner.  Oh well.  If that is my vice......

Here's my dinner tonight.  I've had this recipe forever - from when I was little, through college and now with my family.  It's a favorite with everyone.

I decided to blog this on the fly, so some of the pictures are excluding some ingredients.  I'll post a complete ingredient list before the filling and topping. The actual assembly isn't hard.

Presenting........HAMBURGER PIE! (we are soooo fancy here)


For the filling: 1 egg, 1 lb ground beef browned, 1 can corn, 1/2 c soda (or ritz) crackers, crushed, 1/2 c chili sauce, 1 T minced onion (I used the dried ones), 1/2 t oregano


Brown the ground beef. Duh. Then drain the beef and put back in the pan.


Add the egg--I beat it before I put it in--and then crush the crackers up and add to the meat.


Add oregano and corn.

Put it all in a pie plate or pyrex dish.  I've never done the pyrex dish before but it should work.


Pop it in a 425 degree oven for 20 minutes.

While it is cooking, start the topping.
You'll need: 1 c (plus extra) grated cheddar cheese, 1 egg, 2T milk, 1/2 t salt, 1/2 t dry mustard, 1 T Worsteshire sauce


Mix all the ingredients together and top the pie.  My husband would like me to tell you all that there really should be bacon on top of the hamburger pie.  This is true, except that I didn't have bacon in the fridge, so no bacon for us tonight.  We'll just have to muddle though.


Put back in the oven till the cheese melts.


Voila! Dinner. Steam some veggies and wham bam you've got yourself a hot meal in less than an hour.

I'm spent. Working all those cases with my NCIS team has me beat.
Ya'll have a good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment